Monday, April 22, 2013

Taking Stock: My Food Bloggers of Canada Conference Experience

food styling 101
Where to begin.

Like many of you are aware, I was recently lucky enough to attend the first Food Bloggers of Canada Conference at the beautiful Hockley Valley Resort in Ontario. Though it's been over a week since I've returned home, I've been wrestling with this post ever since.

Those of you who know me may be a bit surprised. Fast walking, fast talking Kathy has nothing to say? But i's not that I don't have anything to say, rather I have too much to say. My head is swimming with ideas and inspiration. Overwhelmed is an understatement.

You see, despite blogging for a couple of years now and despite being a FBC Regional Administrator, at times I felt like an impostor. Yes, I had read the schedule. Yes, I had helped the FBC team prepare for the event and yes, I appeared by all accounts to be my bubbly self. But when Saturday's sessions began, when I realized the company I was keeping, cook book authors, published writers, food stylists, professional recipe developers not to mention bloggers with hundreds even thousands of readers, I wanted to hide in a corner in fear I'd be found out.

Here I was listening to panel after panel discuss ideas in food blogging that I had never before considered. Hell, I had only recently began taking better photos. So, you can imagine where my head was when the conversation went to sponsorship, publishing, and writing a cookbook.

But then it happened. That moment when you take stock of where you've been and where you're going. Suddenly, I was exactly where I should be. Suddenly, all those people making me so nervous became a community, my community. Exit self doubt. Enter burning passion.

Though I am still processing the information and don't quite know where to start, I am bursting with inspiration. I can't say I know the future of eatHalifax but what I do know is that the journey is about to get a lot more exciting.

Lastly, no recap would be complete without a huge thank you to Melissa, Mardi, and Ethan, the magic behind FBC. How three people pulled off a conference of this magnitude is beyond me. To the rest of the FBC team, I am both honoured and grateful to be included in such an amazing group of people. To the sponsors, speakers, fellow bloggers, and new friends (one being my blogger crush Kelly), thank you for your honesty and inspiration. You will never know just how much your words meant.

Wait a minute. What about the food? Though I could go on and on, poutine as an appetizer, three course dinners paired with four wines, and cookies every 15 minutes is all I need to say.

If, however, you're interested in reading more, take your pick among an array of recaps from our incredible FBC community. Or don't miss out and read them all.