Tuesday, February 5, 2013

put an egg on it: Indonesian fried rice

I don't know what's happened to me. I go from eating eggs only on those days when you just need some greezy brekky to cure you of the night before to putting the damn things on everything. Well, not everything. Mostly bowls of fried rice and noodles. I just can't get enough of the stuff. Lately I've been mad addicted to all things Korean but wanting to switch it up, I got out the recipe binder from my planting days and went to work on my version of Nasi Goreng, an Indonesian fried rice. If you've got leftover rice, it's the perfect quick and easy meal to fill you up while packing a flavour punch. And fyi, this is only enough for one hungy lady.

Nasi Goreng



1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 onion, diced (I used the other half to crispify)
3 cloves garlic
3 tbsp red pepper, finely diced
olive oil
1 tbsp tamarind
hot water
3 tsp soy sauce
1-2 tsp honey
2 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper
egg

Soften the tamarind in some hot water, just enough to cover. Be sure to pick out any pits that may still be in there. If you don't have tamarind, I've also made it with dates although, being a tad sweeter, you may want to decrease the honey. Drain off the water, reserving it. Add the tamarind, soy sauce, 1 tsp honey, and curry powder to a small chopper, blender or food pro and process til smooth, using the reserved water to make a think sauce. Now taste that sauce to make sure it's your thang. Your curry may be sweeter/hotter/bitter than mine so add more honey or soy sauce to balance it out.

Heat up some oil in a frying pan and get those onions cooking. When they start to brown, throw in the garlic and peppers. I've also been known to throw in some thinly sliced cabbage. Add in the rice and sauce and fry til heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Now fry an egg sunny side up and jam that thing on top. I added some crispy fried onions but it's also killer with fresh diced tomatoes, cucumber, raisons, or some toasted almonds.

So when you can't decide what to have for dinner, do the only logical thing. Put an egg on it.