Tuesday, November 13, 2012

the buzz: Nov 13

Damn time flies. Back at it again.

As always, a bit of news over at Food Bloggers of Canada. They generally have some sweet contests on the go so it's totally worth checkin out. Plus, the new Eat In Eat Out mag is out and, if you have no idea what I'm taking about, all the more reason to click that link. Nuthin but food , food, and more food.

Alright, let's rock the local news. First up, last week I mentioned I was off to the Grand Opening of Tempo Food + Drink, the new restaurant in the Delta Barrington. While I was too busy gettin' my chat on to try many of the tasty eats (and I think we were sitting at the end of the line if ya know what I mean), what I did taste was pretty awesome. Deep fried artichokes? Shit yeah. The buzz so far has been great but it certainly helps that they have quite the social media savvy lady on their staff. (She's actually shorter than I. Apparently that's possible!) Plus, I can't help but love that there's a young women, and a Newfie to boot, at the helm, Chef Leslie Ann Hull. OK, she may also have personally served up bacon cupcakes. Sold. I also just checked out the menu. Waffle sandwich? This Little Piggy? Touche Tempo, touche. Consider yourself on the 'list'.

Speaking of lists, there seems to be a constant supply of restaurants coming and going. Last week we heard of Ela closing, now there's word Robie Food, a longtime fixture in the Chinese food scene, has closed up for good. But don't fret, more restos are on the way with the Hali Deli on Agricola opening Thursday and a new pub, The Hideaway Bar & Grill, to open soon over on Clyde. But don't let me fill you in. Head on over to Shoptalk at The Coast to get the scoop.

Across the harbour, the news gets better. Anchored Coffee, the coffee roastery brainchild of Zane at Two If By Sea (for which he received a woppin $100G BDC award), finally revealed their location. Drumroll please...none other than right next door to the cafe. I can't imagine a better location. After the move back to the D Side, I find myself at TIBS more and more and I am stoked for the day Anchored Coffee cranks up that roaster, filling the hood with the intoxicating aroma of roasting coffee. The reasons to love Dartmouth just keep growing.

Want another reason? Yours truly is thrilled to announce that I'll be joining the Wooden Monkey team at their new Dartmouth location in the old MacAskills space in Alderney Landing. I love everything about the Monkey and now get to share that love with everyone. Look out Dartmouth, I'm comin' atcha! Oh, did I forget to mention I'll be serving?

Lastly, if you're at all tuned into the local social media scene these days, you've probably seen posts/tweets about the Aviva Community Fund. While I won't get into the nitty gritty, essentially the public votes on ideas to better their communities. The more votes, the better the chance of getting to the final round and the better chance of getting the idea completely funded. Folks in the North End are trying hard to establish the Community Carrot Co-op to make affordable, healthy food accessible to their community. Back in the day when Gottingen was the place to be, buying groceries was never an issue. Now residents, many low income, are left with no options but overpriced corner store food, much of which is processed, or a cab ride to the nearest grocery store. Check out a recent article in the Chronicle Herald then do your part by getting your vote on. One click a day could literally change the lives of families and individuals in the North End. Feels good don't it.

And there you have it, your weekly buzz. Read up, eat up.