Monday, October 22, 2012

the buzz: Oct 23

Woohoo, my first weekly news installment. Here`s hoping I can keep it up.

First up, the news over at Food Bloggers of Canada. Each Monday, FBC posts food related news from across Canada. Check out this week's news for some sweet contests like a members only cookie contest for a chance to win a trip to FBC 2013. Oh, did I forget to mention Food Bloggers of Canada is hosting a big ol' food bloggin' conference in April 2013? Awesome indeed. And, in case you're looking for some new blogs to follow, Food Bloggers of Canada also feature blogs every Friday. I've been lucky enough to be among the chosen and, let me tell you, it's feels freakin' awesome.I'll be sure to re-post all the other lucky folks.

Alright, so what's going on this week in Hali? Well, like always, shit loads. Let's start with the Successful Canadian Women's Dinner hosted by Adsum House. After attending their annual Blooming Tea (you can read up on my post here), I was so touched by all the incredible work they do to help women and children better their lives. And that got me thinking. Sometimes we forget that even the smallest of gestures can make a big difference. So, despite not being able to attend the dinner, I decided to bake up a totally decadent chocolate cake and donate it as part of the auction portion of the dinner. With three inspiring female honorees, a fabulous meal, and loads more goodies up for auction, I'm sure the event will be a huge success. Lucky for you, there's a few tickets left. Check out their site for all the details.

lucky guests, right?
In other news, last Monday, our very own Jeffrey van Horne kicked some cocktail ass, winning both the judge's and people's choice awards for the Made With Love cocktail competition. So, if you have yet to check out JVH's incredible concoctions at the Bicycle Thief or Wednesday's at Untitled Eats, best get your cocktail on. But this week, for the first of what I hope to be many times (because I cannot go), JVH along with the chef at Untitled Eats are hosting a cocktail paired dinner. Ah-mazing. If there are any tickets left, call NOW. At the very least, check out JVH's blog Dash of Dartmouth for more cocktail love.

And the big news, this weekend is City Harvest!!! Can you tell I'm more than a little excited? After the overwhelming success of Open City in May, the ilovelocal powerhouse is once again bringing us two days of deals on local shopping and sweet back door take out at local restaurants city wide. If you're looking for a reason to fall in love with Halifax all over again, look no further. C'mon just check out the listings! And you will no doubt you see on the list. We really wanted to pop-up as The Record Shop but sadly the stars were just not aligned. I'm sure it'll happen someday but for now, we'll take advantage of City Harvest and eat, eat, eat! I suggest you do the same. If you need more convincing, check out my post from Open City and get droolin.

Also, the event listings I compile for Food Bloggers of Canada will be up early next week but in the meantime, there are a few fab looking dinners this weekend. Damn, if only I won the lottery already.
  • Fall Wine Dinner at Nectar Restaurant and Wine Bar. Mon. Oct 29, 630 pm. Five courses complete with wine pairings from the fine folks at Bishop's Cellar. $120. For resos, hit up their site.
  • Tidal Bay Tasting Dinner at Brooklyn Warehouse. Sun. Oct 28, 6 pm. Five courses, five NS Tidal Bays. 75 bones. (Can you say sick deal?!) This one'll go fast so check their fb page for deets.
And one last thing, the charcuterie genius Ratinaud is starting a newsletter, The Cure. Yes, charcuterie is the cure for anything. The first issue hits your inboxes this Thursday and I may just know someone in it (hint hint!). Best get signed up.

And just like that, you're on the 'in'.