Friday, July 6, 2012

get your eat on

Summer in Hali is a wonderful thing. It is, in fact, my first summer here in 7 years. Crazy I know. But this summer, after retiring from the planting world, we are back in the game. And if my twitter feed is any indication, the food scene in Hali is on fire. I have recently compiled the July listings for food related events in the Atlantic region for Food Bloggers of Canada. You can check them out here

But I was compelled to write this post after seeing so many events happening here in the city this very weekend. So, sit back, relax and get a load of what you'll be eating this weekend!

In case, you haven't heard (cuz I guess you live under a rock!) its strawberry season in NS. This, people, is what real strawberries taste like. Not those watery versions imported from god knows where. Just real locally grown NS berries. I have already made a strawberry rhubarb cake with rhubarb syrup for a BBQ and a decadent chocolate cake with Godiva whipped cream and fresh strawberries for my neice's grad party. It is high time you too get your strawberry eating on! And this weekend at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market is the perfect opportunity. It's their second annual Strawberry Festival. Vendors will be showcasing their strawberry goodies and there will even be tasting of different strawberry varieties. Check their fb page and get on down there. And I can't help but link y'all to this awesome video by Hali's own Feisty Chef and fam. I mean what is better than homemade ice cream made with local strawberries and local milk?  Those are some lucky kids.

But maybe you're in the mood for some homemade Lebanese food. Well, the Lebanese Festival happening all weekend at the Olympic Community Center on the corner of Cunard and Hunter has got ya covered. Sure there's way more to see and do as part of celebrating all things Lebanese, but, let's be real, I'm going for the food.

Or gather the fam and head to the South Commons Saturday for the 7th Annual Welcome BBQ. With face painting, food, and music, it's an awesome way to welcome newcomers to NS and celebrate our diverse community. It's 11-2pm rain or shine.

Then there are a few local birthdays to celebrate. First, the Armview is celebrating 60 years in business. 60 freaking years! I think we owe it to the great folks behind this modern diner to get down there and show 'em our love. I mean just check out this invite!

And lastly, but certainly not least, Morris East is turning 5! And to share in the celebration, they are offering a three course menu for 30 bucks that includes a piece of ice cream birthday cake. Um, yes please! I don't know when the deal ends so best get down there.

Alright, there you have it. A weekend full of food and celebrations. Sounds pretty good to me. Now let's hope that rain holds off.

Oh, and did I forget to mention my blog was featured on Food Bloggers of Canada today? So very humbled by their love and for stirring up some more buzz for our resto-coffee bar, The Record Shop. Big thx to everyone for their continued support.