Thursday, April 12, 2012

meaty, meaty goodness


Those folks over at Chives are some crafty. Not being open for lunch, they transformed the little nook adjacent (the old Mud Room cafe I am told, thanks Gary!) and viola, Ciboulette was born. And guess, my English friends, what ciboulette means en francais? Chives of course. Yes, very crafty.


 It's a cute little place with great accents (I love me some red) and the sunniest seat in the city. Along with the usual cafe suspects of espresso bevvies, cookies, and muffins (signs written on teapots is pure genius btw), they have a selection of breakfast wraps, paninis and a sammie and soup of the day. Generally, I don't care for paninis with all those squishy ingredients blending into one hot mess but the folks at Ciboulette are doing paninis right. It's all about that perfectly crunchy bread a la Juliens and, of course, not pressing it til its dead.


The big fella chose the Southwest chicken club probably because I snagged the last meatloaf panini. Yes, I said meatloaf panini but I'll get to that in a minute. The club consisted of the requisite chicken, tomato, and bacon but they kicked it up a notch with mozzarella, avocado and chipotle mayo. Shit. yeah. Need I say more?


But the real star was this bad boy, the meatloaf panini with old cheddar and a bacon relish. Meaty meaty goodness people. The meatloaf was moist and maintained its thick shape well despite the pressing. I know what you're thinking though. Tell me more about that bacon relsih! Unfortunately, I can't say it was super pronounced. There was quite alot of mustard either on the panini itself or in the relish. Regardless, this panini was awesome. No wonder I've heard some twitter chat about it. It was, after all, the only one left.

On our way out, we couldn't resist but grab a blondie for the road. Moist and smooshy and chocolaty and caramely. It was everything a blondie should be. I hear they even have some killer sticky buns...next time Ciboulette, next time.

Check em out and get your meatloaf on!

Ciboulette on Urbanspoon