Monday, March 19, 2012

quinoa salad with avocado lime dressing


I admit that I'm the worst food blogger when it comes to posting recipes...partly because when I cook at home, I just throw things together and partly because I am developing recipes for the cafe that are totally top secret. Some food bloggers I know (ahem Butter Versus Burpees) have this crazy ability to post a recipe almost daily that looks incredible, sounds delish, and is uber healthy. Well, today I am fighting back! Tonight I made a quinoa salad with an avocado lime dressing. It's ridiculously easy. It's fresh. It's mad healthy.  And I gotta say, it looks pretty damn tasty.

1/2 c. quinoa
1 c. water
1/4 avocado
zest and juice of 1/2 lime
1-2 t. honey
1-2 t. oil
s&p
1/4 c. cucumber
3 T. red onions
1/3 c. broccoli
1/4 c. dried cranberries
1/4 c. chopped walnuts

Bring the quinoa and water to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer til tender. Let cool. In the meantime, prep your cucumber, broccoli, and red onions. Feel free to change any of the amounts to suite your tastes. Besides, I am totally guessing at those measurements anyway. Alright, on to the dressing. Blend together the avocado, honey, salt and peppa, lime zest and juice, and about a teaspoon of oil. I added a bit more oil to get the consistency I wanted, using a combination of the amazing Milanese Gremolata olive oil from Liquid Gold and some grapeseed oil. Toss it all together and viola, you got one hell of a nutritious salad. Complete protein from the quinoa powerhouse, vitamin E from the walnuts, heart healthy oil from the avocado, and a slew of vitamins from the veggies. What else could you really ask for? Perhaps some local trout with a maple orange glaze and a side of sauteed kale and garlic. But, hey, that's just how we roll.